Yo, get on the train!

Master

Gameroom Cash
    $29487
    Rep Point
    Male

Ethnicity:   Filipino
    United-States

What kind of influence did China have on Singapore?

Thanks for A2A.
    I am in part giving my opinion based on what Raymond has mentioned, to clarify our links to mainland China or China Chinese people.
    We are a nation that consist mostly of Chinese because our forefathers are from China. That's where the similarities end.
    Now the differences,

Our mandarin do not sound like those from China. Our dialects have evolved into its own tone as well.
    We don't listen to the same kind of Chinese music nor partake in the culture similar to current China Chinese.
    Most of us SG Chinese do not find China Chinese pop idols particularly fascinating, except for a few.
    We don't eat dogs, cats and stuff so our tastebuds really differ.
    We don't spit in public, nor allow our children to freely defecate in public spaces.
    We are not scheming like most of the China Chinese I've come to know. It is in their blood to scheme, to get the most out of you in every way. Singaporeans are still very trusting and trustworthy.

We don't assume that the entire street we're walking on will like to hear our private conversations and thus talk really loudly.
    That being said, I do know one China Chinese whom I like. He's my Chemistry tutor in secondary 4.
    You can't just say that because of our ancestry, everything down the line is similar. It's like saying North Koreans and South Koreans have similar likes and dislikes, behaviours... etc. People evolve. It's not very wise to make sweeping statements like that.
    Please understand I'm not making xenophobic statements here. It's not because we particularly dislike China Chinese. Regardless of which country, the traits listed above are not acceptable. If they can be mindful of their behaviour, we Singaporeans will be more than happy to assimilate them into being one of us.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by PimpMasterPro23; 10-24-2018 at 04:54 PM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

Master

Gameroom Cash
    $29487
    Rep Point
    Male

Ethnicity:   Filipino
    United-States

Presently, about 3/4 of the Singapore population is comprised of Chinese-speaking citizens whose ancestral roots issued back mostly to Southern China. The ownership of Singapore companies listed on their stock exchange is even higher--about 81% are owned by ethnic Chinese Singaporeans. Obviously, the native tongue is most widely spoken in Singapore, too, with the typical Cantonese dialect of Southern China prevailing, albeit now interlaced with English, Malay and even Indian amongst other well dispersed colloquialisms from the other immigrant languages which have infiltrated the open society there.

Since most Singaporean Chinese can trace their ancestral home to areas of , Guangdong, Fujian and Hainan in southern China, their culture has an attachment to that of Chinese culture of southern China as related to southern Chinese dialects, religious customs and cultural elements as practiced in Singaporean Chinese communities. The immigrants from China brought their values with them and are influenced by traditional Confucianism with respect for their elders and filial piety which influence their concept of social harmony in a "family first" mindset.
    Across Singapore you see the influence in Chinese entertainment, news and press, writings, Chinese organizations, festivals, and a vibrant youthful following of Chinese pop culture, clothing fads and all other things Chinese interestingly interspersed with aspects of western culture iconic within Singaporean culture and institutions.

Gameroom Cash
    $30644
    Rep Point
    Male

Vatican-City Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by PimpMasterPro23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Presently, about 3/4 of the Singapore population is comprised of Chinese-speaking citizens whose ancestral roots issued back mostly to Southern China. The ownership of Singapore companies listed on their stock exchange is even higher--about 81% are owned by ethnic Chinese Singaporeans. Obviously, the native tongue is most widely spoken in Singapore, too, with the typical Cantonese dialect of Southern China prevailing, albeit now interlaced with English, Malay and even Indian amongst other well dispersed colloquialisms from the other immigrant languages which have infiltrated the open society there.

Since most Singaporean Chinese can trace their ancestral home to areas of , Guangdong, Fujian and Hainan in southern China, their culture has an attachment to that of Chinese culture of southern China as related to southern Chinese dialects, religious customs and cultural elements as practiced in Singaporean Chinese communities. The immigrants from China brought their values with them and are influenced by traditional Confucianism with respect for their elders and filial piety which influence their concept of social harmony in a "family first" mindset.
    Across Singapore you see the influence in Chinese entertainment, news and press, writings, Chinese organizations, festivals, and a vibrant youthful following of Chinese pop culture, clothing fads and all other things Chinese interestingly interspersed with aspects of western culture iconic within Singaporean culture and institutions.
    Southern Chinese are already half Austronesian, they were just Sinicized by Southward migrating Han but they were originally Austronesian.

Sent from my CHM-U01 using Tapatalk

Sage

Gameroom Cash
    $84009
    Blog Entries
    Rep Point

Ethnicity:   Horsecore and bunnycore

The home of Austronesian languages isn't China, it's Taiwan. Look at this map.

I don't see anything in China, I mean the real and official China as part of the expansion highlighted in pink. The y-dna (male marker) profiles of the people in the Austronesian expansion were significant in O1 but all this suggests is a male marker which makes sense for something like Han Chinese who would use patriarchic societal norms to judge other males and exclude them from the early Han tribes aka Huaxia renming. Austronesians were matriarchic in their societal norms so the significance of O1 doesn't mean anything. They were just as likely to take Papuans into their clan just as likely as they would take Mongolians. It just depended on where they were at the moment. Furthermore there were various peoples in China, especially in the territories not encompassed by the central plains and it would be unlikely that they were all just Austronesian.