Yo, get on the train!



Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 39 of 39

Thread: Classify me? :)

  1. #21
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 28, 2014
    Posts
    11,233
    Gameroom Cash
    $74708
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Point
    7191
    Rep Power
    36
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Yue
    Russia

    I thought Filipinos were mainly descendants of Austronesians from Taiwan?

    Austronesians left the mainland for Taiwan about 10,000 years ago, about 9,500 before the Warring states period. Warring states occurred only after 500 BC.
    Last edited by PrinceValiant; 04-22-2017 at 09:35 AM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  2. #22
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Sep 20, 2015
    Location
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Posts
    1,770
    Gameroom Cash
    $13046
    Rep Point
    1533
    Rep Power
    8
    Female

              Ethnicity:   Filipino-American, a descendant of Taiwanese aborgines and Southern Chinese settlers
    Philippines United-States

    Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mine too. We are all connected~

    Nice results. I see that you score more S. Han more than Gaoshan. Are you mainly of Chinese descent?
    register or log in to view signatures!

  3. #23
    Master

    Join Date
    Apr 08, 2012
    Location
    Jaya Karta (Jakarta), Indonesia
    Posts
    2,774
    Gameroom Cash
    $23324
    Rep Point
    4207
    Rep Power
    20


    Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValiant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Filipinos were mainly descendants of Austronesians from Taiwan?

    Austronesians left the mainland for Taiwan about 10,000 years ago, about 9,500 before the Warring states period. Warring states occurred only after 500 BC.
    @PrinceValiant @Dreamhunter

    Yes, I often read that so.

    Even I read also that there is another theory that Austronesian origin is not from Formosa Island, but more to be Borneo Island in Indonesia.

    I think this needs to ask the "Austronesia" expert here in anthro like Brother Easy772, Jajapinay, DWuji, etc


    === ***** ===

    This is a universal thing.

    Everyone in this world - who ever and where ever they are, as the man kind of earth, will ask the same question over again and again: "Who am I", "Where do I come from?"

    @SapphireSky @Prau123

    But one point, the important thing is, the "history" is begin with "word" record, so hence, the "writing" invention.

    And before the "history" begin (before "writing system" invented), the anicent people were very mobile!

    Yes.
    According to Prof. Jared Diamond, the modern "Austronesians" might came from mainland South China, spreaded to Formosa Island, then drifted out to Philippines, Malay peninsula and Indonesia Archipelago 6,000 years ago.

    ~ Later they expand to Madagascar more recent, as it is so far away to South East Africa coastal,
    then to West Pacific Oceania like Hawaii, New Zealand, even to South Americas (Rapa Nui, etc).
    register or log in to view signatures!

  4. #24
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Sep 20, 2015
    Location
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Posts
    1,770
    Gameroom Cash
    $13046
    Rep Point
    1533
    Rep Power
    8
    Female

              Ethnicity:   Filipino-American, a descendant of Taiwanese aborgines and Southern Chinese settlers
    Philippines United-States

    Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mine too. We are all connected~

    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @PrinceValiant @Dreamhunter

    Yes, I often read that so.

    Even I read also that there is another theory that Austronesian origin is not from Formosa Island, but more to be Borneo Island in Indonesia.

    I think this needs to ask the "Austronesia" expert here in anthro like Brother Easy772, Jajapinay, DWuji, etc


    === ***** ===

    This is a universal thing.

    Everyone in this world - who ever and where ever they are, as the man kind of earth, will ask the same question over again and again: "Who am I", "Where do I come from?"

    @SapphireSky @Prau123

    But one point, the important thing is, the "history" is begin with "word" record, so hence, the "writing" invention.

    And before the "history" begin (before "writing system" invented), the anicent people were very mobile!

    Yes.
    According to Prof. Jared Diamond, the modern "Austronesians" might came from mainland South China, spreaded to Formosa Island, then drifted out to Philippines, Malay peninsula and Indonesia Archipelago 6,000 years ago.

    ~ Later they expand to Madagascar more recent, as it is so far away to South East Africa coastal,
    then to West Pacific Oceania like Hawaii, New Zealand, even to South Americas (Rapa Nui, etc).
    Ok, why do some Filipinos have S. Han in their wegene results?
    register or log in to view signatures!

  5. #25
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 28, 2014
    Posts
    11,233
    Gameroom Cash
    $74708
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Point
    7191
    Rep Power
    36
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Yue
    Russia

    Everyone wants to be Chinese apparently, lol
    register or log in to view signatures!

  6. #26
    Master

    Join Date
    Apr 08, 2012
    Location
    Jaya Karta (Jakarta), Indonesia
    Posts
    2,774
    Gameroom Cash
    $23324
    Rep Point
    4207
    Rep Power
    20


    Indonesia

    Quote Originally Posted by Jajapinay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ok, why do some Filipinos have S. Han in their wegene results?
    @Jajapinay

    I think that's not surprising that some Filipinos have "South Han" / "South Chinese" components...
    As they share the similar DNA each other, often almost "identical" ... and possibly some recent admixture, though just a bit, like Bro SapphireSky?




    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValiant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone wants to be Chinese apparently, lol
    @PrinceValiant

    No, I don't think so... Where do you get this kind of idea?

    Don't ask this to Malaysian and Indonesians, they will say another thing, ...

    About 2014 to current 2017, the "political" situation of Indonesia is quite a bit "change", become gradually worsen due to the "election" of the capital's governor, Jakarta.

    Search this in the Indonesian news, it is very easy to find.

    That's why dealing with these "Chinese" is always bad.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  7. #27
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 28, 2014
    Posts
    11,233
    Gameroom Cash
    $74708
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Point
    7191
    Rep Power
    36
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Yue
    Russia

    I think IronMan is the only Filipino here proud of being Filipino
    register or log in to view signatures!

  8. #28
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Sep 20, 2015
    Location
    Somewhere in the U.S.
    Posts
    1,770
    Gameroom Cash
    $13046
    Rep Point
    1533
    Rep Power
    8
    Female

              Ethnicity:   Filipino-American, a descendant of Taiwanese aborgines and Southern Chinese settlers
    Philippines United-States

    Quote Originally Posted by 222 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @Jajapinay

    I think that's not surprising that some Filipinos have "South Han" / "South Chinese" components...
    As they share the similar DNA each other, often almost "identical" ... and possibly some recent admixture, though just a bit, like Bro SapphireSky?





    @PrinceValiant

    No, I don't think so... Where do you get this kind of idea?

    Don't ask this to Malaysian and Indonesians, they will say another thing, ...

    About 2014 to current 2017, the "political" situation of Indonesia is quite a bit "change", become gradually worsen due to the "election" of the capital's governor, Jakarta.

    Search this in the Indonesian news, it is very easy to find.

    That's why dealing with these "Chinese" is always bad.
    What's your beef with Chinese?
    register or log in to view signatures!

  9. #29
    Responsible Adult

    Join Date
    Apr 18, 2017
    Posts
    622
    Gameroom Cash
    $4767
    Rep Point
    127
    Rep Power
    2
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Filipino(Austronesian) + Dai + 1/8 Chinese + 1/16 Australoid + 1/16 Basque-Spanish. M7b1 and P.
    Canada Philippines China

    Quote Originally Posted by Jajapinay View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice results. I see that you score more S. Han more than Gaoshan. Are you mainly of Chinese descent?
    Thanks! Wegene Southern Han is probably Han mixed with Southeast asian. So I think of it as 44.89%/2 = 22.445% or less real Han admixture. But I think that's still too high as I think it is only really safe to say I am around 1/8 Han. It is also probably ancient admixture from around Tang to Ming dynasties. My parents have no knowledge of Chinese ancestry, they also don't practice Chinese traditions except for maybe preparing and eating Nian Gao (Tikoy) on Chinese New Year. They also only tell me that some of our relatives look really sinitic.

    Filipinos are mix of different southeast asian components not just one. So we could have Formosan roots but mixed with newer wave of southeast asia groups as well like the Daic. We are all related anyway, we all stemmed from the non-Han tribes of mainland east-asia. Rising sea levels separating some parts into present day islands is what I think contributed to the perceived differences.
    Last edited by SapphireSky; 04-22-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  10. #30
    Responsible Adult

    Join Date
    Apr 18, 2017
    Posts
    622
    Gameroom Cash
    $4767
    Rep Point
    127
    Rep Power
    2
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Filipino(Austronesian) + Dai + 1/8 Chinese + 1/16 Australoid + 1/16 Basque-Spanish. M7b1 and P.
    Canada Philippines China

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValiant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Filipinos were mainly descendants of Austronesians from Taiwan?

    Austronesians left the mainland for Taiwan about 10,000 years ago, about 9,500 before the Warring states period. Warring states occurred only after 500 BC.
    That is more like how people always think humans came from chimps when it comes to evolution. I meant is as more like a common ancestor, proto-daic.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  11. #31
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 28, 2014
    Posts
    11,233
    Gameroom Cash
    $74708
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Point
    7191
    Rep Power
    36
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Yue
    Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is more like how people always think humans came from chimps when it comes to evolution. I meant is as more like a common ancestor, proto-daic.
    But the population involved in the warring states period were not the same ones who lived in Taiwan or Philippines. They had already separated by thousands of years. The populations on mainland during warring states were not ancestors to Taiwanese or Philippines Austronesians.
    Last edited by PrinceValiant; 04-22-2017 at 11:42 AM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  12. #32
    Responsible Adult

    Join Date
    Apr 18, 2017
    Posts
    622
    Gameroom Cash
    $4767
    Rep Point
    127
    Rep Power
    2
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Filipino(Austronesian) + Dai + 1/8 Chinese + 1/16 Australoid + 1/16 Basque-Spanish. M7b1 and P.
    Canada Philippines China

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValiant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But the population involved in the warring states period were not the same ones who lived in Taiwan or Philippines. They had already separated by thousands of years. The populations on mainland during warring states were not ancestors to Taiwanese or Philippines Austronesians.
    Your ancestor's ancestors are still your ancestors. As long as it's not like a million or billion year time-gap anyway. The world is too old so thousands of years is only a fragment. If it's as different as you say, then we should have very drastic changes in appearances. The drastic appearance in some individuals is more like mixing with ASI. Like the Melanesian peoples.
    Last edited by SapphireSky; 04-22-2017 at 11:56 AM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  13. #33
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 28, 2014
    Posts
    11,233
    Gameroom Cash
    $74708
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Point
    7191
    Rep Power
    36
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Yue
    Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Your ancestor's ancestors are still your ancestors. As long as it's not like a million or billion year time-gap anyway. World is too old and a thousand years is like only a fragment.
    What I'm saying is that they are literally separate populations so they cannot be your ancestors.

    It's like it would be incorrect to say your distant cousin's parents are also your parents. Although you are distantly related, your distant cousin's parents are still not your parents.

    I do agree that if we go back far enough we are all related. We all came from Africa after all.
    Last edited by PrinceValiant; 04-22-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  14. #34
    Responsible Adult

    Join Date
    Apr 18, 2017
    Posts
    622
    Gameroom Cash
    $4767
    Rep Point
    127
    Rep Power
    2
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Filipino(Austronesian) + Dai + 1/8 Chinese + 1/16 Australoid + 1/16 Basque-Spanish. M7b1 and P.
    Canada Philippines China

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValiant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I'm saying is that they are literally separate populations so they cannot be your ancestors.

    It's like it would be incorrect to say your distant cousin's parents are also your parents. Although you are distantly related, your distant cousin's parents are still not your parents.

    I do agree that if we go back far enough we are all related. We all came from Africa after all.
    It's a Gradient. There will always be a common ancestor intersection within just a few thousand years, which is again not big. You are still related to one of your distant cousin's parents.

    The east Africa thing is a million years or so. So it is already pretty drastic.
    Last edited by SapphireSky; 04-22-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  15. #35
    Responsible Adult

    Join Date
    Apr 18, 2017
    Posts
    622
    Gameroom Cash
    $4767
    Rep Point
    127
    Rep Power
    2
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Filipino(Austronesian) + Dai + 1/8 Chinese + 1/16 Australoid + 1/16 Basque-Spanish. M7b1 and P.
    Canada Philippines China

    Watch this history of Japan video. It pretty much visualizes it well for other south-east asian island countries too. First few minutes sum up where the natives from islands come from. They are all originally from mainlands. The first minute or so should suffice.

    Last edited by SapphireSky; 04-22-2017 at 12:13 PM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  16. #36
    Moderator

    Join Date
    Feb 28, 2014
    Posts
    11,233
    Gameroom Cash
    $74708
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Point
    7191
    Rep Power
    36
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Yue
    Russia

    Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's a Gradient. There will always be a common ancestor intersection within just a few thousand years, which is again not big. You are still related to one of your distant cousin's parents.

    The east Africa thing is a million years or so. So it is already pretty drastic.
    Again, by calling those warring period mainland populations your ancestors is equivalent to calling your distant cousins' parents as your parents. That is incorrect. There is no direct downline from their parents directly to you.
    Last edited by PrinceValiant; 04-22-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  17. #37
    Responsible Adult

    Join Date
    Apr 18, 2017
    Posts
    622
    Gameroom Cash
    $4767
    Rep Point
    127
    Rep Power
    2
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Filipino(Austronesian) + Dai + 1/8 Chinese + 1/16 Australoid + 1/16 Basque-Spanish. M7b1 and P.
    Canada Philippines China

    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceValiant View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Again, by calling those mainland populations your ancestors is equivalent to calling your distant cousins' parents as your parents. That is incorrect. There is no direct downline from their parents directly to you.
    I'm not saying they are my parents but I'm saying I am a descendant of the distant cousin's parent's parents. In other words, no downline but an upline connecting to a common ancestor. Btw the mountain tribe people form the anime are not Han.
    Last edited by SapphireSky; 04-22-2017 at 12:31 PM.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  18. #38
    Responsible Adult

    Join Date
    Apr 18, 2017
    Posts
    622
    Gameroom Cash
    $4767
    Rep Point
    127
    Rep Power
    2
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Filipino(Austronesian) + Dai + 1/8 Chinese + 1/16 Australoid + 1/16 Basque-Spanish. M7b1 and P.
    Canada Philippines China

    Quote Originally Posted by shazou View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Austronesian + Sudsinid w/ a bit of Indian/South-Asian
    @shazou I think I know now why you see Indian/South Asian. Australoid + Basque-Spanish = North-Indian Looking.
    register or log in to view signatures!

  19. #39
    Responsible Adult

    Join Date
    Aug 17, 2014
    Posts
    816
    Gameroom Cash
    $7716
    Rep Point
    977
    Rep Power
    7
    Male

              Ethnicity:   Ilocano-Tagalog
    Philippines

    Quote Originally Posted by SapphireSky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    @shazou I think I know now why you see Indian/South Asian. Australoid + Basque-Spanish = North-Indian Looking.
    That's a possibility too.

    I do know many Pinoys also score substantial amounts of South Asian on Gedmatch/23andme as well. On my mother's gedmatch it came out as Pakistani/Punjabi/Jatt on her Oracle bestfit breakdowns

    0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    register or log in to view signatures!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


About Us

    "EastBound88.com is your premier portal for news and discussion on Asian traditions, contemporary culture, history and politics. Catch up on current events, chat with friends, watch a movie, have a serious debate or hang out in the arcade! Thank you for visiting and enjoy your stay."
EastBound

Quick Links

Follow Us on


Content Managed by
  • EastBound © 2012